Wednesday, November 10, 2010

"It's So Much More Friendly With Two!"

I have been stranded on a desert island for almost two weeks now. I do have the occasional visitor drift by, and at times have been invaded by the area's wildlife...in this case, my two miniature dachsunds, Callie and Dexter. While the saying may go..."no man is an island," I can say with certainty that any bed can be, if one is upon it long enough. The ailment that stranded me this time can go unnamed; but the side effects are always the same: self-pity, isolation, and loneliness.

One friend that has kept me company this past week, is a 1954 copy of Winnie the Pooh, by A.A. Milne. This evening as I was feeling way too self-absorbed, I decided to read another chapter. I looked at the title, "Piglet Is Entirely Surrounded by Water," and had to chuckle. Oh Lord, that is how I have felt lately...surrounded and alone! In this chapter there is a flood, as it had "rained, and it rained, and it rained." Piglet is deep in thought as he says, "If only I had been in Pooh's house, or Christopher Robin's house, or Rabbit's house when it began to rain, then I should have had company all this time, instead of being here all alone, with nothing to do except wonder when it will stop." A little further on Piglet says, "it wasn't much good having anything exciting like floods, if you couldn't share them with somebody." Isn't that true about so many situations in life?

As I have been laid up - this time, I have tried diligently to think of others, use my computer as a conduit, a way to plug in to others lives, and of course have kept up with all the latest news on Facebook! I have made a few phone calls, and mentored a bit, even in the midst of my illness. Yet, none of that takes the place of a friend that sits by your side, is with you physically, and can reach out and hold your hand. Further on during Piglet's difficulties, he gives out a "very long sigh and says, "I wish Pooh were here. It's so much more friendly with two." This one phrase went straight to my heart.

We all have our own "floods" that surround us, but what else have we surrounded ourselves with because of them? Do we spend time building bridges, that are made of strong friendships that learn to reach out and be our life-lines? Would we even be okay with someone wanting to sit and hold our hand? Do we spend more time building walls of stone, to keep out people that may disappoint or hurt us? Perhaps we focus on rescuing ourselves, not wanting to depend on others, so we just hunker down where we are, stock up on supplies, in my case double-stuffed Oreo's and Diet Coke, and ride the storm out alone. I am spending time thinking upon these things, and I believe I have been busy building a few walls.

My walls are made mostly of fear and lack of trust. I hold it all together with mud, mixed with history, hurt, and anger. I didn't really notice that I had built such a wall...it has been years in the making. It's not a strong wall though, I do believe it would come down when hit with just a small wrecking ball of honest communication and a gentle shove from someone that shows genuine care. These things do not just happen by themselves unfortunately - they come about only by love in action, and with a pick axe in my hands.

I love what action Piglet does during his plight...he wrote a note, put it in a bottle with a cork in it, and threw it in the water. "Perhaps somebody would come and rescue him!" All he wrote on the note was this, "HELP! PIGLET (ME"), and on the other side: "IT'S ME PIGLET, HELP HELP." He threw that bottle as far as he could and he watched it "floating away in the distance, until his eyes ached with looking." I wonder, have I really done this - have I dared to risk enough, to hope enough, and to throw my need as far as I possibly could? Even if I had, would I believe that there would be someone out there looking for me? The answer today was, No! I spent so much time thinking about all those people out there, that must not care about me, or they didn't see the need to engage themselves. Had I written a note that said, HELP, Mary, (Me)? No, I had not. I did have a phone call or two, from one friend, and when asked if I needed anything - I said no!

Piglet had friends looking for him, his hope was well founded. Owl flew to Piglet to comfort him, and began to tell him a long, drawn-out story, to which Piglet wished to be rescued from even more than the flood! It was still company though, and he knew meanwhile, somewhere in the distance, Pooh and Christopher Robin were thrust into action to come to his aid. Soon they were all together, warm and dry.

I know Piglet has the right idea during times of struggle. We must build those bridges of genuine friendship! We must be willing to take action ourselves, write that note, throw that bottle...and hope. God's people respond when they know of needs - I have seen this first-hand. I make myself so busy trying to meet everyone elses needs, that I forget I have ones of my own. At some point, all of us are "Entirely Surrounded by Water," and need a hand. There are many things one can do besides just sit and "wonder when it will stop!" Whatever your "it" is, focus on what God can do through others, if you let Him.  November 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment