Thursday, November 18, 2010

Of Worth!

What makes something a ‘treasure’ or gives worth to the things around us?  I have a house full of treasures, and antiques - some beautiful, some maybe not so much.  To me, they are all of worth.  Most have been passed down for several generations and while they may be a bit raggedy, I love them!  Perhaps some folks would look on these things and not see any worth - that it’s all junk.  Others with more knowledge of the value of antiques, would just see dollar signs.  The value of these treasures for me, is simply felt in my heart.  There is one particular treasure that means a lot to me.  I know it’s nothing special to look at, and certainly would not fetch much money at auction; I know the reality of what I’m holding.  Yet, to me, it is a treasure of irreplaceable worth.  It is a ring.  In it’s glory days it held quite a few opals, it’s gold was shiny and the delicateness of it, made it gorgeous.  I have never worn this ring, as it is too fragile since coming into my possession.  It sits on a small decorative shelf amongst other tiny trinkets that I adore.  I rarely even bring it out to show to people that visit - as I know it would mean nothing to most., but I know it’s there and it brings me comfort none the less.


This ring belonged to my grandmother, but was handed down to me by my aunt after Grandma passed away.  My grandmother gave me a ring - a different ring, when I was in high school.  It was a beautiful pearl ring in a square setting with tiny diamonds on either side.  It was also gold, but was not new even when my grandfather gave it to grandma for their anniversary.  I didn’t want the ring really - it wasn’t exactly what a 17 year old would think was stylish…but no one ever told grandma ‘no’!  I planned to put the ring away as a keepsake, but grandma insisted that I wear it - “pearls are only beautiful when worn.”  For a couple of years the ring stayed safe on my hand, or my nightstand.  When I graduated high school, a friend, my parents and I did a mini-caravan in 3 vehicles to Boise, Idaho.  About 2 hours into our journey we did a pit stop at a rest area somewhere between Medford and Bend.  We weren’t there long - as we had many more hours to go, and soon we were back in the cars on our way.  I believe it was hours later, between Bend and Burns, that my right hand felt naked.  I looked down and instantly felt sick to my stomach - grandma’s ring was gone!  It was too far to turn back, and I knew the ring wouldn’t be there anyway…I had taken it off to wash my hands and forgotten to put it back on.

I wasn’t worried about replacement value, or how old the ring was, or even that I no longer had a ring to wear!  I wasn’t looking forward to my Mom chewing me out, but that wasn’t the cause for the sickness in my stomach either.  I could not live with the thought of disappointing my grandma!  I knew she would still love me, and knew she would not hold it against me…but disappointing her - I wanted to throw up!  I settled in Boise, started my college years and independence and started years of praying that grandma would never ask me about the ring, and she never did.  I never told her I lost it and carried that weight well into adulthood.  Until one day at my aunt’s house; I confessed!  Grandma was gone now, and I knew my aunt would understand - she always did.  Onto her shaky, elderly legs she stood and told me to follow.  We entered what was my grandmother’s room in her later years, and my aunt opened the top drawer of the dresser.  She placed a ring box in my hands and said, “Grandma would want you to have this.”  Inside was this tiny opal ring - not worth wearing, much too small for any of my fingers, and the most precious treasure I’ve ever laid my eyes on!  My heart felt healed, and knew what I held was not just a ring, it was Grace!

The treasures in our lives are worth exactly what worth or value we place on them.  No one else can tell us that worth, there is no appraisal needed done.  This is true whether we’re talking about an old ring - or ourselves!  I let a lost ring decide my worth and whether forgiveness was within reach!  I knew it was, because I knew my grandma well enough, but I did not accept what I knew.  As with any gift, it is our choice to accept or reject.  How many Christmas or birthday gifts have you turned away without opening?  Probably none!  So why do we do that when it comes to what God has given us?  I guess we figure we know better than the One that made us, what our worth is.  The lesson of the ring in my life has stayed with me; I am forgiven, loved unconditionally, and am treasured.  I hope that you accept that you are a treasure also.

“God saved you by His grace when you believed. And you can’t take credit for this; it is a gift from God.” Ephesians 2:8
“For the Lord is good. His unfailing love continues forever, and his faithfulness continues to each generation.”
Psalm 100:5

No comments:

Post a Comment