Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Treasure Hunting

Shelves filled with old friends embrace me from both sides.. I wander the aisles searching for yet another thing that will make my husband say, “what are you going to do with that thing?” I love exploring second-hand stores and antique shops. This heart-felt hobby comes naturally, as I have descended from a long line of bargain hunters. My favorite part of exploring is when I get the feeling of walking through a porthole to another time, and memories flood my mind and senses.
I grew up playing in the corners of my grandparents “perpetual yard sale,” which was how most of our family referred to the property and house. Grandpa was a master at the re-sale business. He could “dicker” down a price as no other man could, buy something for a quarter, then turn around and sell it for a buck. He was a success at this little known career. The shop out back held furniture, the back of the garage was filled with comic books, games, puzzles and books, and a dirt basement was a man cave where every type of tool could be found. While the majority of their property was all about business, it was still very much a home.
The kitchen, Grandma's headquarters, held a wood stove that warmed bodies as much as it heated the kettle for tea. Cupboards were filled with cookies and favorite treats, and the fridge always held a jar of dill pickles just for me. The house was furnished, exclusively by all the finest yard sales. A claw-foot tub sat in the bathroom, it was a beacon of calm and rescue. It had comforted me greatly, filled with baking soda, the day I tried to dicker with a hive of yellow jackets.
As welcoming as their entire home was, the attic was my favorite place to be. At first, it seemed dark, and forbidding. With one click of the light switch, it became a treasure chest filled with knick- knacks, dishes, toys and quite a few whatchamacallits. I spent hours there dressing up in old clothes...pretending I was a beautiful bride, as I wore a fluffy half-slip on my head as a veil. Another, even fluffier slip, became a dress and I twirled in front of a mirror, feeling absolutely beautiful. On other visits and in another moods, men's used suits turned me into a powerful business man, or with an evening gown and another half slip on my head for long, flowing hair, I was a movie star! All the while, the women folk, those boring grown-up types, were down in Grandma's kitchen, gabbing away and having tea. I was sure they had no idea, the fun they were missing.
As I now peruse aisles at the local second-hand shops, the items my hands touch, become sweet reminders of a simpler time. The musty smells make me smile, and sometimes even tear-up. If I happen to find a glass, chicken-shaped candy bowl, I feel a hug from Grandma as if she was right beside me again! What makes treasure valuable? I believe it only takes someone who will truly treasure it. I imagine a grandmother lovingly embroidering the pillowcase I now hold in my hands. My mind can see the woman who brushed her hair with the ornate comb, brush and mirror set that lays on a shelf in a stranger's store. Brief sadness overtakes me, as I think, perhaps there was no one left that saw these as treasures.
On one of my explorations, at my local Goodwill store, I joined other junk'eologists in the hunt for the day's colored tag, in order to get fifty percent off our discoveries. I resisted the shoe aisles, for I am tempted much by that territory. I passed through the household furnishings section and there, sitting alone on an old trunk, was a magnificent find! A large, beautifully colored, Tiffany “type” light fixture. Alas, the price tag was not the right color. I tried to distract myself among the clothing, then the toys, and back around to the picture frames. I circled again, keeping one eye on the prize...ready to pounce if anyone else looked interested in it! I finally gave in. It was more than I usually spent on a “bargain” and I wouldn't know if it even worked until my husband's skills in re-wiring had been put to the test. Standing in the check out line, I felt validated in spending the money and beamed proudly as a woman exclaimed, “what a beautiful light...great find!” I drove home, so excited about my success, endured “the look,” from my husband, and then left my find on a shelf in our garage. It stayed there in the dark, for quite some time.
Finding a more permanent home for the fixture, was recently moved to a higher priority bracket on the list of household projects. My husband, with our son's help, completed the installation, which proved to be quite a job, as most of my ideas turn out to be. We decided it would look best in our stairwell, whose ceiling happens to be at least fourteen feet above the landing. My great “find,” was very heavy, especially while standing on a ladder, holding it above your head. So much time had passed that my great find was now just “nice” in my mind, but still, the colors would brighten up the stairway. I started up the stairs, just as my husband said, “go ahead and try it out!” On the top step, I flipped on the light switch and was stunned. With a light shining through the red, green and yellow toned glass pieces, a row of dragonflies magically appeared. Eight dragonflies, with intricate lacy wings touching, formed a ring around the bottom edge of that piece of “junk.” I felt a twinge of guilt for leaving this treasure in the garage for so long, and not having been more appreciative of it's beauty. Then again, it's full beauty wasn’t known until the light revealed it.
Just as time makes my memories more precious and appreciated, light makes it possible to see things in a new way. That which seems hidden, is revealed, darkness is chased away and beauty can be seen. Affirmation pushes away the blues, encouragement has the strength to toss sadness aside. The light switch in my life has to be connected to the power of God, and then I have to choose to turn it on! I shouldn't be content to look at jumbled, pretty colors, when I could be seeing dragonflies. I am commanded to invite other explorers into my life, to share my light. This is true fellowship.
There will be times that we flip on a light, and join each other in a great twirling session, experiencing the magnificent find of shared joy. There are moments when a bright light is even painful, it can expose us, and by being willing to step into that light, we experience growth. Where light is, darkness can not exist, and that's exactly why God asked us to be “light,” found us a home – although temporary, here on earth and treasures us all.
Matthew 5:14-16...”You are the light of the world – like a city on a hilltop that cannot be hidden. No one lights a lamp and then puts it under a basket. Instead, a lamp is placed on a stand, where it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your good deeds shine out for all to see, so that everyone will praise your heavenly Father.”
With God, there is no dickering, our price has been firmly set. No shopping around, waiting to be marked down, or have the special colored tag. Jesus willingly paid full price for us! We are treasured! We get to someday play in God's attic, where the light never goes out. For now, stay connected to Him, and to each other, have fun twirling, and remember to look in the mirror and love what you see. Be light to a world that desperately needs it, and keep a flashlight nearby for the storms that come. Here's wishing for a jar of pickles in every fridge and a well-stocked dress up box in everyone's home. July 2009


No comments:

Post a Comment