Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Pardon me, but there’s an angel in the road and he’s got a sword.

Picture yourself out for a drive on a lovely afternoon, when suddenly your car veers off the road and ends up in a field. You didn’t turn the wheel that way, the car seemed to just decide on it’s own where it wanted to go. You manage to get back onto the road, but a few yards later - the car dives itself into a ditch! What would you be thinking? I believe most of us would decide the car had something wrong with it and would wait for a tow truck. We might say some unkind things to the car as well, and kick a tire or two. I do not believe we would assume the car had received divine intervention and chose to go off-road!
    When I first read the account of Balaam and his donkey (Numbers 22:21-35), I was rather judgmental. In our present day laws of animal rights and people getting arrested because they didn’t take care of their cat…Balaam surely would be thrown in the clinker for beating and threatening to kill his donkey! Then I wondered if I would have really acted that different.  If my car rattles too much, I’m ready to trade it in. So I guess I’ll cut the guy some slack.
    Poor Balaam, he really does start out with good intentions - as many of us do. He asks God whether he should go and help Balak…but God says no. However Balak isn’t use to people saying no to him, so he is persistent. I personally know this game - I have had children. Somehow between the word “no” leaving my mouth and their ears hearing it - it turns into a “maybe” and so they ask again later. I don’t think God likes this game with his children  anymore than I did, and as long as I’ve known Him - No, means, no! So…Balak sends his messengers back to Balaam again and asks him to come.  Again Balaam says “I’m pretty sure God won’t want me to do that, but I’ll ask him anyway.”
    At this point of the story I think God decides, as often I did, to give in and let the kid go -despite His own reservations. Perhaps Balaam will learn more from his mistakes, so he loads his donkey and heads down the road, truly believing that God changed His mind. I have ended up in a field or two in my life because I thought I had convinced God of what His will was for my life.  How about you?
    Having a talking donkey could really come in handy; one that veers off the road because they are aware of danger ahead. I could have used one as a kid. Where was that donkey the day I decided to cross a creek (after being told not to), and ran into a swarm of bees.  My donkey could have said, “Mary, it’s only a little ways more to the bridge and I believe it would be safer to cross the water that way.”  Knowing me, I wouldn’t have listened to that donkey any better than I did to my parents though.
    Perhaps God let Balaam continue down the path he was on because He knows His children well enough to know it’s the only way we learn important lessons. After 17 stings all over my body, I learned the short cuts of life don’t always take us where we want to end up.  God did give me a way to see the angel standing in the road with a sword…our “donkey” is called the Holy Spirit.

1 comment: